Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Definition of Awesome?

The word "awesome" is quite overused in this day and age, by me especially and by my entire generation in general. And, when you stop to think about it, so little of what is out there today, in the biblical or even the conventional modern sense (the two do not have the same meaning, really - nothing that happens today is worthy of actual literal awe). And yet we hear the word all the time, often in less than truthful circumstances. It's often used sarcastically, or over-enthusiaticly and hyperbolically, and, as of lately, in some meta-comment on the word, sarcastically hyperbolically. So it might be hard to really discern what the word actually means to us, the people of today. Which brings me to this next subject:



Last week I saw the stoner romp (as critics and square dudes sseem to like to call it) Pineapple Express. It was very enjoyable, moreso as an 80's action film than as an 00's stoner comedy. It had its funny moments to it, it was a good time being there on opening night, and that was about it. Not the greatest thing in the world, certainly. But I'll tell you what was fantastic. The film has the most amazing end credits song, courtesy of eminent everyman icons Huey Lewis and the News. Honestly, I love this song. It's better than the whole rest of the movie, and it's certainly the best Huey Lewis song I've ever heard, at least musically (not like any Huey Lewis song can be said to have great lyrics, though I think Hip to Be Square is a clever song). This brings me back to my original point, namely: what is awesome? The answer? "Pineapple Express" by Huey Lewis and the News. Basically, this song is the definition of Awesome because I can think of no other accurate way to describe the song. I can't honestly say it's a great song, but it's certainly nowhere near awful. It's a good song, and yet I enjoy it way more than most other songs I would describe as merely "good." And I don't enjoy it ironically, either. It makes me want to get up and dance, which is certainly no easy feat. And I wouldn't call it cool, either, because if there is one thing that Huey Lewis is not, has not ever been, and will not ever be, it's cool. I can't imagine Huey Lewis ever getting high, even though he is a rock musician and he sang a song called "I Want a New Drug." And when he mentions pot in the song, he sounds so square and nerdy, and yet he also sounds like he knows what he's talking about. It's a bizarre dichotomy, and, yes, I realize that I just used the word "dichotomy" when talking about a Huey Lewis song in a pot movie.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the word "awesome" can really have no conventional definition. It's so subjective, like many adjectives (Interestingly, not subjective. Subjective is a very objective adjective.) It really has no one definite meaning, which is as it should be. Right now, almost anything can be awesome, except for most social diseases and mass genocide and a few other things. But since people like to define things, I respectfully submit that "Pineapple Express" by Huey Lewis and the News is THE definition of Awesome. But since I could be wrong, I ask of you: what do you think is the definition of awesome?

Download it Here:

Huey Lewis and the News - Pineapple Express (right click and save as)

2 comments:

Billy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Billy said...

I am certainly guilty of over-using the word awesome. I've basically made my own definition for it...I call things awesome if they make me happy. This ranges from mere ideas: Mike, our idea for a stoner movie staring aliens? Awesome. To people: My friend Mickey, who gave me a Silver Surfer shirt for my birthday? Awesome. To things that are so bad and cliche filled that I enjoyed them a great deal: That new Japanese movie with the girl who takes down a helicopter by throwing her yo-yo at it? AWESOME!

I also use it for many other things.

So I guess I'm part of the problem, aren't I? Well, I don't care, cause you know why Mike? Cause that's awesome.